Stone Mountain Vineyard

We’ve been working ridiculous amounts of overtime–including weekends–lately, and I can feel it taking a toll. I’ve been tired for weeks: even when I first wake up in the morning, I still feel tired. I’ve had a steady, creeping soreness in my back, which I suspect is from my less-than-ergonomic desk chair at work, and the 9+ hours per day I spend sitting in it. Needless to say, I would love some time off.

P is out of town this weekend, at a golf tournament with friends. I worked a 9-hour day yesterday. On a Saturday. (I’m actually glad he was out of town, otherwise the experience would have been even more miserable.)

Today, my goals were: 1) sleep in until 10 or so, 2) go to the gym for the first time since running the Ukrop’s 10k on March 31, 3) go to TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, and Anthropologie for a little retail therapy, and 4) relax for the rest of the night, before gearing up for another loooooong work week.

I slept until 10, ate breakfast, fooled around on the computer (I’ve been stalking Craigslist this weekend, because UVA students are prepping to move out, and they’re willing to part with their belongings for seriously low prices) while breakfast digested, and then headed to the gym. I don’t trust the treadmills here at all: they’re old and dilapidated and the mileage and pace calculations both seem off, but I ran approximately 2 miles. Granted, it was at the snail’s pace of 4.8mph, and it took me nearly 30 minutes, but I felt strong the entire time, and nothing hurts too badly 8 hours later, either.

After the gym, I abandoned all plans for shopping in lieu of joining Dad and Grammie on an adventure to Stone Mountain Vineyards, which is out in the middle of nowhere, on top of a mountain at the end of a winding, narrow road, but was actually quite worth the trek. It was nice to spend a tri-generational afternoon sipping wine, talking, and taking in the foggy view:

Gram’s choice, “Cherry,” and my “Bacon Hollow Revenuers’ Select”

When the winery closed at 5, we hopped back in the car, headed down the mountain, and proceeded to explore the back roads of Greene and Albemarle counties for over an hour. I was content to sit in the back seat with my head a little woozy, and listen to them talk about people I’ve never met and events from long ago. We capped off the day with dinner at Chili’s, and then headed home.

I’m not exactly excited about heading back into work for what’s sure to be my third (maybe fourth?) 45+ hour week in a row, but at least an end is in sight. And today was a pretty darn good day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s